Crockpot Gingerbread Oatmeal is the perfect hands-off healthy crockpot oatmeal for you and your family! This crockpot steel cut oatmeal is bursting with holiday spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and all spice. With all the whole grains and fiber this homemade gingerbread oatmeal offers, you will feel satisfied all day.
Originally published December, 2017 || Updated December, 2019
Good morning! As I’m writing this, I’m just lounging in my jammies, drinking my favorite peanut butter coffee smoothie, listening to Christmas music writing this post and dreaming about the upcoming holidays.
When it comes to a Christmas morning breakfast, I really struggle between choosing this healthy gingerbread oatmeal and my pomegranate cranberry baked oatmeal.
Both are fantastic Christmas morning oatmeal recipes and very hands-off, but they appeal for different reasons.
I had been baking them in the oven, which have been amazing, but more recently I have started cooking steel cut oats in the crockpot. Because – easy. And it makes a great smelling kitchen!
I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to make oatmeal in a crockpot. I mean, I love oatmeal. You know I love easy meals that are hands-off. I love my crockpot. It was like a total DUH moment.
So, I finally put them all together, better late than never, right? And made the most delicious gingerbread crockpot oatmeal.
Once you see how easy it is to make crockpot steel cut oatmeal, you won’t turn back.
Why I Love this Crockpot Gingerbread Oatmeal
I love this simple gingerbread crockpot recipe for so many reasons!
- It is SO easy it is to prepare. The last few Sundays I’ve just let this healthy gingerbread oatmeal do its thing in the crockpot while I got my chores done, cleaned the house, watched football, etc.
- It’s very hands off. Let your crockpot do the work!
- The holiday flavors!
- It’s very budget friendly and easy to feed a crowd on a small budget
Seriously, the holiday flavors that come through in this gingerbread oatmeal recipe are superb. I feel like I am eating a gingerbread cookie, but yet it is a healthy hearty breakfast packed with so much flavor and goodness.
What You Need For This Slow Cooker Oatmeal Recipe
- Uncooked steel cut oats (I really love the McCann’s Irish oatmeal)
- Blackstrap Molasses or maple syrup
For exact ingredients and measurements, scroll down to the recipe card.
I’ve been really into gingerbread this holiday season – probably moreso than in the past. I’ve also come to appreciate the magic that is molasses, and how important it is for the true gingerbread flavor.
You will love this christmas oatmeal crockpot recipe.
How to Make Creamy Oatmeal in a Crockpot
I think a crockpot is the key to creamy oatmeal. Wondering how to cook steel cut oatmeal in a crockpot?
Simple! Just combine all your ingredients in the slow cooker. Stir well to mix all the flavors together.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Other Recipe Notes When Making Slow Cooker Gingerbread Oatmeal
The first time I made this recipe, it just wasn’t gingerbread-y enough so I changed it up a bit and added more spices.
The second time around, it was a little dry so I added a bit more liquid.
- When making this gingerbread crockpot oatmeal you will want to add some butter into the crockpot when you first start. This helps grease the pot, but also provides some extra flavor when it melts and meshes with all the flavors.
- Also, important to note that you want to use steel cut oats for this creamy oatmeal recipe. They’re thicker and will hold up much longer. And you’ll get this creamy delicious result.
- If you are trying to get the true gingerbread flavor, you will want to use molasses for this recipe. It is important for the true gingerbread flavor.
- This gingerbread oatmeal makes a big batch, so I love to make it ahead of time and put it in airtight containers in the fridge and pull it out as we feel like eating it. If it seems a little dry, add a little milk as needed and stir it in.
Can I Make This Into Overnight Steel Cut Oatmeal?
Yes, you can cook this gingerbread oatmeal overnight, making it the perfect Christmas morning oatmeal breakfast.
To make it overnight, you want to turn your crockpot on low right before you go to bed.
Let it cook for 8 hours and then in the morning, you have a comforting, hot breakfast and your house will be smelling amazing with all the gingerbread smells you could ever want.
Overnight crockpot oatmeal is a favorite of mine.
How Long Does Gingerbread Oatmeal Last?
Gingerbread oatmeal lasts anywhere from 4 to 6 days when kept in the fridge in an airtight container.
You will want to be sure to put it in the fridge within 2 hours of cooking it to prevent bacteria that can develop when it sits at room temperature. For more on food safety, check out Food Safety.gov.
How Do I Reheat Gingerbread Oatmeal?
To reheat your gingerbread oatmeal, you will want to put your oatmeal in a microwavable safe container and cook in the microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes.
After 1 minute you will want to stir your oatmeal and check the temperature of it. Continue to cook at 30 second intervals until it reaches the desired temperature.
If it appears dry, add a touch of milk and stir it in.
What Toppings Can You Add To This Healthy Gingerbread Oatmeal?
This healthy gingerbread oatmeal is so easy to make and is delicious on its own, but I also love to top it with a few of my favorite things to mix it up a bit!
Try topping your slow cooker gingerbread oatmeal with:
- Peanut Butter (or any type of nut butter)
- Hemp Seeds
- Chia Seeds
- Flax Seeds
- Chopped walnuts
- Dried fruit
- A dollop of greek yogurt
Get as creative as you want! I’ve even put some peppermint chocolate on there and it was delicious.
More Easily Holiday Recipes:
- Oatmeal Raisin Peppermint Cookies
- Cranberry Pomegranate Baked Oatmeal
- Gingerbread Protein Pancakes with Chocolate Chips
- Cranberry Strawberry Chia Sauce
- Chocolate Pomegranate Energy Bites
- Sheet Pan Maple Roasted Vegetables
- Roasted Beets and Butternut Squash Salad
- Cod Sliders with Cranberry Chutney
Want More Make Ahead Breakfast Recipes? Try These!
- Shredded Sweet Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Asparagus Mushroom Quiche
- Baby French Toast Sticks
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Pancakes
Want More Crockpot Recipes?
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, stirring well to mix the flavors around.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 41gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
Share in the comments how your gingerbread crockpot oatmeal turned out!
As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.