This Eggplant Goat Cheese Avocado Sandwich is a delicious eggplant sandwich recipe. Paired with a creamy goat cheese, sprouts, beets, tomatoes and whole grain bread, this is the best plant based sandwich!
Are you as excited about delicious plant based sandwiches as I am? I love a good turkey or chicken sandwich – don’t get me wrong. But when I have all the right veggies combined for a satisfying sandwich, I can thrive with a tasty vegetarian sandwich option.
For this vacation-inspired recipe contest, I decided on this epic veggie sandwich because I love sandwiches, and I feared my fresh fish here wouldn’t compare to the pacific coast fresh fish we consumed in British Columbia.
Inspiration For Beets Spinach and Goat Cheese Sandwich
When I posted this on Instagram and got so many responses and even private messages about it, I knew I had to take action and create it myself.
After a morning long run, we wanted a low key lunch place. Somewhere we could sit outside, split an app, and have a beer. However, being the day before the SeaWheeze half marathon, it made things rather difficult.
We walked by a place called Tap Shack, and it was hoppin’. Like people galore outside, and a line out the door. Fortunately, we snuck on into the bar and found a seat immediately.
Originally, I had a cheesy burger in mind, but they weren’t serving that burger at our location. As a result, I did a total 180 with my menu decisions and went with the veggie sandwich. While it sounded tasty, I wasn’t expecting too much out of it.
However, I was pleasantly surprised and delighted by the sandwich, and I left Tap Shack feeling inspired to create my own version.
Making A Goat Cheese Avocado Sandwich
Beets and eggplant may not come to mind when you think of plant based sandwiches, but they are super delicious! Beets and goat cheese are a match made in heaven, and this recipe definitely won’t let you down.
In making this goat cheese sandwich, I did make a few changes – I traded the Portobello mushroom for eggplant, switched the bibb lettuce to spinach and omitted the cucumber.
Most importantly, I suggest using a hearty or thick bread. You need something sturdy to hold all of the thick vegetable goodness.
And, while we’re at it, let’s talk about nutrition, shall we?
This plant based sandwich does not skimp on flavor and is chockfull of nutrients, fiber and antioxidants. You’re getting ample healthy fats through the avocado, which will help you absorb Vitamins A, E, and K from the veggies.
Optional Protein Add In’s
While you’re getting sufficient protein from the goat cheese, as well as some from the bread, avocado and veggies, you can certainly buff up the protein content. You could add in bacon, tofu, tempeh, deli meat or even a fried egg, if you so dare.
Beets are very nutritious and are high in antioxidants and nitrates, and can help reduce blood pressure. Furthermore, beets are high in betanin. Betanin is a phytonutrient associated with reducing inflammation and helping with detoxification.
And let’s not forget about creamy goat cheese. This sandwich would not be the same without it. It’s paramount for the creaminess.
The goat cheese imparts such a creaminess, the tomato gives a juicy tartness, the beets provide some natural sweetness, and the buttered bread holds it together and leaves you with a satisfying, savory taste for this goat cheese avocado sandwich.
There are so many flavors in this sandwich but I feel like they go really well together, just like my tuna feta salad.
If you want to make a vegan beet sandwich, omit the goat cheese and substitute with hummus or another vegan cheese, and substitute more olive oil for the butter.
Lastly, the eggplant plays the role of the “meat” here.
While it’s chewy and thick, it doesn’t take away from all of the other flavors. As a great Meatless Monday option, that can be customized for the whole family.
If you’re looking for other ways to use eggplant, try my sweet potato eggplant hash – a delicious eggplant breakfast recipe!
Want More Beet Recipes?
- Add beets into breakfast with a sweet potato scramble!
- This Raw Beet Smoothie disguises the taste of beets with bananas and mangos!
- This sweet potato beet smoothie is full of immune boosting antioxidants!
- Butternut squash and beet salad is a staple for fall
- ½ small eggplant, roasted
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 slices of bread (I used Sara Lee Artisan)
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sliced beets, I used canned
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 2 tbsp sprouts
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 1-2 slices tomato
- 1/2 cup spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat broiler on low.
- Cut eggplant in ½ inch slices, brush both sides with a teaspoon of olive oil, and arrange in single layer on baking sheet (I added a pinch of salt also).
- Broil for 4 minutes, turn over, and broil for 4 more minutes.
- While the eggplant is broiling, coat bread with 1-2 tsp of butter and saute in frying pan over medium high heat. Cook for about 2 minutes, and do the same with the other side.
- Once bread is toasted to your liking, coat each slice of bread with mashed avocado and goat cheese (add salt and pepper as necessary). Layer bottom slice of toast with sprouts, beets, sliced tomato, spinach and broiled eggplant.
- Put sandwich back in the broiler on low for 2-3 more minutes. Combine top and bottom slices, forming your sandwich.
Serving Size:one half
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 487mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 9gSugar: 8gProtein: 9g
Pin it for later!
What makes a sandwich stand out to you?