Banana Peanut Butter Brownies are going to be your favorite healthy banana brownies, made with bananas, applesauce, flax eggs, whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, and peanut butter.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases. You can read more here on our Disclaimer and Privacy Page.
These healthy peanut butter brownies have come in handy in multiple instances. One of my biggest pet peeves is when I really want something (like dark chocolate brownies) but I lack some key ingredients – ahem, eggs.
When this happens, I adapt and that’s how these healthy banana brownies came about. I didn’t intend to make these peanut butter brownies vegan, but back to the egg situation.
If we’re making peanut butter banana brownies (or anything with peanut butter for that matter), count Camryn in.
So, banana and peanut butter brownies are a healthyish treat that came about out of luck, and now we rely on week to week.
I played around with a few versions and I’m thrilled with how gooey, soft, chocolatey, and peanut-buttery these vegan peanut butter brownies came out.
Another reason I love this healthy banana brownie recipe is because Camryn was helping, and well…she eats the batter as we go along.
Banana Peanut Butter Brownies Ingredients
These staples come in handy and here’s what you need for peanut butter banana brownies.
- flax eggs (I love this flax seed)
- medium ripe bananas
- coconut oil
- applesauce (I used unsweetened)
- maple syrup (optional)
- whole wheat flour
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- salt (this sea salt on top is to die for)
- creamy peanut butter (this is the best “creamy” peanut butter I’ve found!)
A few notes:
- The riper your bananas, the more natural sweetness.
- If you’re not vegan, you can use butter in place of coconut oil and eggs in place of flax eggs
- Almond butter, cashew butter or any nut butter replacement works too!
I’m sure that these healthy banana chocolate brownies will become your favorite way to use ripe bananas. I know we all have them and then blank on how to use them.
Well, ripe bananas are now prime real eastate for banana chocoalte peanut butter brownies.
We use bananas a lot, and pretty much always have some riper bananas on hand. This could be because sometimes I have to make 2-3 trips to the grocery store a week, and each time, I get more bananas.
How to Make Healthy Banana Brownies
These healthy banana brownies come together very easily, which is what you want in a healthy banana brownie recipe.
First, you have to make your flax egg, which is a vegan alternative to using real eggs. Just mix 1 Tbsp of ground flax seed with 2.5 Tbsp of water, and let it gel. We’re using two flax eggs, so I doubled that recipe.
Next, mash your bananas in a bowl with a fork. Using ripe bananas will make these more naturally sweet, and easier to mash.
Then, add your coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, flour, and baking powder to the bowl.
Finally, mix in your cocoa powder and flax eggs to the mixture and you’re almost ready to pop these eggless peanut butter brownies in the oven!
Pour the batter into a 9×9 baking pan and swirl in the peanut butter with a knife.
I like to make sure the peanut butter mixes well into the bottom of the batter too, not just the top. This gives a fuller and deeper flavor to these easy banana brownies.
Then, bake for 27-32 minutes, and let these healthy banana brownies cool. This is the hard part but if you cut them when they’re too warm and soft, they will crumble easier!
I like to sprinkle some sea salt on top as they’re cooling to help bring out more flavor. You really can’t go wrong with peanut butter, banana and peanut butter.
I really love to pair them with my peanut butter coffee smoothie for breakfast when I’m in an extra chocolatey mood.
- I used unsweetened apple sauce for this healthy banana brownie recipe but you can use a sweetened version to make these sweeter.
- Not vegan? You can use butter instead of coconut oil and/or honey in place of maple syrup.
- Use any nut or seed butter in place of the peanut butter.
- To make these banana and peanut butter brownies sweeter, add more maple syrup or honey.
FAQ and Tips
You have three choices for storing these healthy banana peanut butter brownies. You can store them at room temperature in a tight container or bag, a stasher bag, or in the fridge, and they will last 5-7 days.
These banana chocolate brownies are healthy and use wholesoe ingredients. There are healthy fats from the flax seed and nut butter, and ample carbs from the bananas, applesauce and flour. Plus, cocoa powder is full of phytonutrients, antioxidants, and even iron.
These tasty banana peanut butter brownies are in a world of their own.
These peanut butter and banana brownies get their moistness from applesauce and the flax eggs.
Other Peanut Butter Snack Recipes:
Vegan dairy free pudding is a quick, easy chocolate dessert recipe that comes together in just 30 minutes!
Chocolate peanut butter coconut balls are the perfect, portable snack to satisfy your sweet teeth! The healthy fats from peanut butter and coconut really keep you satisfied.
Pb2 cookies use peanut butter flour for a high protein peanut butter flavored snack!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- First, prepare your flax eggs. Mix 2 Tbsp flax seed with 5 Tbsp water and let it sit until it “gels"
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl with a fork.
- To the mashed bananas, add coconut oil, applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla extract, flour, and baking powder. Whisk until combined.
- Lastly, add the cocoa powder and flax eggs to the mixture and pour into 9x9 baking pan.
- Pour peanut butter on top and swirl it with a knife so it mixes in with the batter.
- Bake for 27-32 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick or fork inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let batter cool completely and then cut into squares. Sprinkle with sea salt.
*If peanut butter is not creamy, microwave in 15 second increments until it gets very creamy and “drippy”
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spectrum Essentials Organic Ground Flaxseed, 24 Ounce (Pack of 1)
Organic Maple Syrup - 32 Oz. Jug - 100% Pure Canadian Maple Syrup - Small Family Farm Sourced - Grade A: Amber Rich Taste - Non-GMO, Healthy and Gluten-Free
Kirkland Organic Creamy Peanut Butter U.S. Valencia Peanuts 28 Ounce Each Jar 2 Pack
Island Fresh Superior Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 92mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
Save it for later!
Have you ever made chocolate peanut butter brownies with cocoa powder?