Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup combines the perfect complementary autumn flavors of sweet potatoes, pumpkin, sage, coconut milk and spices. This nourishing instant pot soup will help you feel good in the winter months.
This post is sponsored by NC SweetPotatoes, as part of a long-term partnership.
I can’t believe I used to not be a believer in soups. They never did it for me, until something clicked and I came to appreciate their cozy comfort and warming spirits.
If you’re like me, this pumpkin sweet potato soup will make you a believer, I promise. It’s not as hearty as my slowcooker chicken pumpkin chili recipe, but it’s delightful in its own right.
Any way I can take a shortcut, I do it. So when I learned that I can make pumpkin soup in the instant pot instead of standing over the stove, you bet I was all about it.
Pumpkin is a great example of things to eat with sweet potatoes – the two are a match made in heaven and complement each other nicely.
Pressure cooker pumpkin soup brings you everything you want and need from a storebought soup into your own home, except there are no weird or artificial ingredients!
Ingredients for Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup
There’s always the debate of pumpkin vs. sweet potato, but I figured why not pair them and have them play off each other? They both have exceptional nutrition profiles and are strong supporters of immunity.
So, I create this naturally dairy free pumpkin soup, and it is also vegan.
Plus, adding sweet potatoes to soup is just another way to use sweet potatoes.
- sweet potatoes
- pumpkin puree
- full fat coconut milk
- vegetable broth (can use chicken broth if not vegan)
- maple syrup
- spices – cinnamon, ginger, salt, peper
If you want to limit the added sugar, maple syrup isn’t even necessary because the sweet potatoes are naturally sweet!
How to Make Pressure Cooker Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup
The prep for this easy vegetarian soup recipe in the instant pot is so easy. If you’re intimidated by cooking anything in the instant pot, this is a great beginner recipe for sweet potato pumpkin soup in the pressure cooker.
First, start by chopping your veggies, which is really just the onion and sweet potatoes.
Dice the onion and then, use the sautee function on the instant pot and throw the diced onion in.
While the onion is cooking, peel and cube the remaining sweet potatoes. Add the sweet potatoes and other ingredients into the instant pot and cook on high for 3 minutes.
Then you get to blend everything. I recommend using an immersion blender which is my favorite!
You’ll see upon blending that this instant pot vegetarian soup recipe creates a delightfully creamy soup.
You can add more milk to make it creamier (or use heavy cream), or more broth to thin it out a bit.
Tips and Tricks
Since this vegan sweet potato soup recipe is easy and quick, there aren’t many shortcuts needed. However, there are ways to save some time.
- Chop the sweet potatoes and onion the day before or earlier in the day to save time. Or, buy pre-chopped – no shame in that game.
- Your sweet potatoes should be soft after 3 minutes of cooking. However, add another minute if they still feel tough to the touch.
- Make sure you opt for FULL-FAT COCONUT MILK in a can – this sweet potato and coconut milk soup is extra creamy and cozy with the extra fat. If you’re not vegan, you can use heavy cream.
- I prefer using an immersion blender to blend because it’s one less thing to clean. You just blend it in the instant pot. However, you can also use a high speed blender or food processor or Vitamix.
- Other fun topping ideas – hot sauce, coconut milk, croutons, fresh herbs, candied ginger, other nuts/seeds…
Nothing not to love, it’s so flavorful, subtly sweet and pairs well with a crusty bread. You’ll love this soup all winter!
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Soup?
Yes, pumpkin soup can be frozen. Just let it cool completely and store in an upright, freezer safe container. I love these silicone freezer containers.
Other Comfort Recipes
- Apple Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal
- Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Sweet Potatoes
- Zucchini Almond Flour Muffins
- Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos
- Simple Sweet Potato Pizza Crust
Pumpkin sweet potato soup combines the hearty, nourishing flavors of autumn in an easy 30 minute vegan instant pot recipe.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium to large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced and peeled (4-5 cups)
- 1 15-ounce can of full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Pumpkin seeds, for topping
- Turn Instant Pot to sautee feature and add 2-3 T olive oil. After a minute, add in diced garlic and onion. Sautee both for 2-5 minutes, or until they start to soften and become fragrant.
- While they are sauteeing, dice your sweet potatoes.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot and turn off sautee function.
- Give all of the ingredients a good mix and add top to Instant Pot. Turn to pressure cook feature. Set for 3 minutes on high. Note that it may take 10-12 minutes before it starts cooking, as the Instant Pot heats up.
- After the timer goes off, quick release Instant Pot, open the vent and let steam out.
- Remove the Instant Pot top. The sweet potato chunks should be very soft. The mixture may look a little watery. Grab an immersion blender or Vitamix and blend the mixture until smooth. If soup is too thick at this point,
you can add more broth or water. If soup is not sweet enough, add a bit more maple syrup.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds, sage or other options.
To freeze, let cool completely. Keep in a freezer safe container for up to 3 months.
If you don't have an immersion blender, you can use a Vitamix or food processor.
Maple syrup can be omitted for a less sweet soup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 521Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 844mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 11gSugar: 14gProtein: 11g