Cherry Chocolate Coconut Milk Chia Pudding is a great way to use those summer cherries. Great as a breakfast, snack or dessert, this coconut chia seed pudding recipe with cherries and chocolate is an easy vegan dessert. Add whipped cream if you’d like!
It’s not like me to post two recipes two days in a row. But I’ve had this vegan chia seed pudding made and photographed. And while I’m at it…I’ve also enjoyed it over and over again.
When I meet with clients, I’m often sharing easy recipes for them when they feel stuck. I often bring up chia pudding, and the common question is, “what is the ideal chia pudding ratio?”
I’ll share my secret with this coconut milk chia pudding.
I feel like I go through chia pudding phases, and right now, this coconut chia pudding with chocolate and cherries is DEFINITELY a phase.
My dad always loved cherries growing up, and I was always kinda “eh” about them. Probably because I compared them to the maraschino cherries in Shirley Temples (my drink of choice until age 12), and I just wasn’t crazy about those cherries.
But, now I understand how delicious and refreshing the FRESH summer cherries are.
And they pair perfectly with chocolate and whipped cream in this vegan chia pudding recipe! Doesn’t everything though?
In terms of nutritional content, sweet cherries have a similar profile to that of tart cherries – great for endurance runners!
It was time for me to experiment with fresh cherries, and mixed in with this chocolate chia seed pudding seemed perfect.
What Do You Need For Cherry Coconut Milk Chia Pudding?
- Coconut milk – If you don’t have coconut milk, you can substitute with another milk. To keep this as vegan chia pudding, opt for a coconut milk chia pudding or almond milk chia pudding.
- Chia seeds – The secret ingredient. Chia seeds offer antioxidants, protein, iron, calcium, omega 3-fatty acids and more. Read more about chia seeds’ nutrition content.
- Cocoa powder or cacao powder – Full of health-promoting antioxidants!
- Quality maple syrup (I love this one) – For natural sweetness
- Cherries – Cherries are full of phytonutrients and antioxidants, and are anti-inflammatory (especially if you find some tart cherries).
- Whipped cream – Optional, but highly recommend. You could make coconut milk whipped cream or purchase vegan whipped cream.
Cherries are one of my favorite foods for endurance runners! If you’re not a cherry fan, you could also substitute with another fruit. Use fresh, frozen or dried fruit in this overnight chia recipe.
Another note about the ingredients – this chia seed pudding recipe with coconut milk can be made with either canned coconut milk or carton coconut milk.
Not a chocolate fan? You can make it into vanilla chia pudding.
Now that you have your ingredients for this paleo chia seed pudding, let’s talk about how EASY it is to make this chocolate chia pudding recipe.
How To Make This Chia Pudding Recipe Vegan
To keep this chia pudding recipe vegan, stick with coconut milk, almond milk or even soy milk. Here are the main steps for making this basic chia seed pudding.
- Gather your ingredients and mix them in a mug or small bowl.
- Let the ingredients gel and “firm up.”
Usually, I recommend 4-5 hours for the chia seeds to soak up the liquid and “firm up,”, but it’s easiest to make overnight chia pudding so you can enjoy it in the morning.
Then, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy.
I’ve never tried this, but to make this a keto chocolate chia pudding, use full fat coconut milk, and use a tiny bit of a sweetener or just general fruit to sweeten it up.
What is the Best Chia Pudding Ratio?
I’m sure each person will have her own opinion, but I have had the most success with using 1 1/3 cups of milk and 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp of chia seeds.
And make sure you allow enough time for it all to “gel.” For me, it’s generally 4-5+ hours, or overnight for the safest bet!
Could You Make This Into a Chia Seed Parfait?
Definitely – that’s actually my favorite way to enjoy it. I prefer to mix in some more yogurt with fruit because chia pudding with yogurt becomes more of a protein chia pudding.
However, stick to a soy or plant-based yogurt to keep this vegan chocolate chia pudding plant-based if necessary.
Another reason I really love this cacao chia pudding is because it’s extra hydrating. Since chia seeds soak up water, they help to hydrate the body, in addition to balancing blood sugar.
Chia seeds are great for hydration because they absorb water. So if you’re training in the summer heat, utilize them as part of your summer hydration plan.
How Long Does Chia Pudding Last?
This basic chia pudding will last 3-5 days properly stored in the refrigerator.
- 1 1/3 cup coconut milk (can also subst. with another type of milk)
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2-3 Tbsp maple syrup, depending on sweetness
- 1/4 cup cherries, sliced and pitted
- 1/4 cup vegan whipped cream, optional, but highly recommended
- Mix all ingredients in bowl and divide into 2 jars or serving cups.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4+ hours or overnight.
- Top with extra cherries and whipped cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Healthworks Cacao Powder (16 Ounces / 1 Pound) | Cocoa Chocolate Substitute | Certified Organic | Sugar-Free, Keto, Vegan & Non-GMO | Peruvian Bean/Nut Origin | Antioxidant Superfood
Coombs Family Farms Maple Syrup, Organic, Grade A, Dark Color, Robust Taste, 32-Ounce Jug
Viva Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds (2 LB)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 382Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 7gSugar: 40gProtein: 10g
Other Easy Vegan Snacks:
This dairy free chocolate pudding is another delicious vegan dessert or snack.
- No bake vegan protein bites are great for meal prep and busy weeks – great for kids, adults and pre/post workout.
- Peanut Butter Banana Brownies are healthy vegan brownies that make for a great dessert or snack!
- Another way to use chia seeds is in this banana chia seed bread or this cranberry strawberry chia sauce, which makes a tasty topping for toast!
- This banana chia seed bread is delicious too!
Pin it for Later
I hope you give it a try and like it! And if so, please tag use the tag #bucketlisttummy so I can see it!
As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.