35+ Quinoa Recipes for Toddlers
Quinoa recipes for kids don’t need to be intimidating or yucky. These kid-friendly quinoa recipes are perfect for picky toddlers, with additional options for quinoa for babies, too!
Trying to find quinoa kid friendly recipes can be intimidating. In fact, trying to feed kids any kind of healthy food can be difficult at times.
Different textures and colors truly take things to a whole new level.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.
And toddlers, especially, are known for loving foods one day and despising them the next, which is why quinoa recipes for kids often get thrown to the wayside.
And while quinoa recipes for toddlers are easy enough to find, quinoa isn’t the cleanest grain around.
It’s messy, which is expected when serving quinoa to a baby, but otherwise, it’s just a pain to clean up.
Is Quinoa Good for Toddlers?
Yes, quinoa is good for toddlers and it’s great for kids of all ages.
Quinoa is packed with protein and is a great source of fiber, Vitamins A, C and E, and minerals, like magnesium, potassium, iron and calcium.
Plus, if we’re making a healthy quinoa dish for ourselves, why not also make it a kid friendly quinoa recipe?
The point is for all of us to enjoy food together, and that’s one of my tips for intuitive eating for kids – eat what you’re modeling to them.
Recipes that the whole family will enjoy is a real win. Making two (or three) different dinners just isn’t fun or practical, and there’s really no reason to be intimidated with grain recipes for kids.
Quinoa is a pantry staple that we always have on hand. We love to use it in healthy baby led weaning breakfast ideas.
We order it in bulk from Thrive Market, and it’s one of my favorite ingredients for easy vegan meals.
These kid friendly quinoa recipes are both palatable and practical.
Since many of these baby quinoa recipes are solid and easy to hold, it’s MUCH easier for kids who haven’t mastered the hand-eye coordination to eat and enjoy with a fork just yet.
If you want other finger foods for toddlers, check out some of these ideas.
Tips For Quinoa For Kids
When considering introducing quinoa recipes to toddlers, I have a few tips to help them ease into the idea.
- Try Colored Quinoa: Kids make choices based on how a food looks. Sometimes a more colorful food is more appealing. Try a colored quinoa variety!
- Beware of Cooked vs Dry Quinoa: Pay attention to whether or not your recipe calls for pre-cooked quinoa or simply dry quinoa. You don’t want to cook it beforehand if it isn’t required in a recipe. If you do this, it can cause your quinoa to get mushy.
- Cook With A Different Liquid – Quinoa is pretty bland on its own and really takes on whatever flavors it is mixed with. If you’re wondering what to add to quinoa to make it tasty, try milk, coconut milk, chicken broth, bone broth or another flavored and nutritious liquid instead of water.
- Incorporate some fun add in’s! My go-to is often a quinoa salad that’s kid friendly, filled with fruits and veggies they know and like. Some favorite quinoa add in’s include:
- spices – like mint, cilantro, basil – These are great in quinoa recipes for babies because you are expanding their palates at a young age!
- fruits – like berries, cantaloupe, kiwi or orange (tropical fruits do very well)
- sauces – like tomato sauce, mashed avocado, tahini, hummus
- beans and lentils – so many ideas for lentil recipes for toddlers!
- fun add in’s – chocolate chips, mashed banana and peanut butter for a sweet quinoa recipe, similar to my quinoa breakfast bowl recipe
Quinoa for Picky Toddlers Tips
While many of these quinoa recipes for picky eaters should be pleasing for kids, toddlers and kids have their own preferences! Sometimes when we make certain foods and our kids don’t like it the first time, we want to just give up. But don’t give up!
- Try pairing a new food, like quinoa, with foods you know your kids already like (here are plenty of toddler snack ideas if you need them). Here are some ideas for freezable toddler meals that we utilize often. For example, if your child loves blueberries, instead of just giving blueberries plain, try mixing them in with a new granola recipe or a quinoa salad.
- Pair different textures! Have something crunchy on the plate to go alongwith soft quinoa. Texture is a big thing for kids so if it isn’t the right texture, the odds of these quinoa recipes for picky eaters succeeding are far lower.
- Try it with breakfast. If your kid loves breakfast, add it alongside a favorite. We have plenty quinoa breakfast recipes for kids in here, so all ideas are on the table.
How to Cook Quinoa for Kids
If a recipe does call for cooked quinoa, here are my favorite quinoa cooking tips:
- Before cooking, you want to make sure you rinse it.
- Heat some oil up in a pan on medium heat and toast your quinoa for a little over 2 minutes. Make sure it gets a little toasty and that all the water from rinsing it is gone.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups water to 1 cup of quinoa and bring the water to a boil. Cover, turn your stove to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the quinoa from heat and let it stand for 5 minutes. Don’t take the lid off your pot.
- Fluff with a fork once it’s done. This is how I do it for my lemon herb cheesy quinoa and it turns out perfectly each time.
Quinoa for Babies
Quinoa is good for babies, too! When making quinoa for baby, I like to serve it preloaded on a spoon with mashed avocado or hummus, or I’ll offer it through one of the handheld recipes below.
I also like to throw it in some of my favorite baby friendly recipes, like baby led weaning meatballs and even baby french toast. It meshes in well and can add more structure and of course, more nutrients!
It sounds crazy but it doesn’t change the flavor at all and is adding extra nutrients and a new food for babies.
After you see these easy kid friendly quinoa recipes, you’ll feel inspired to add them to your rotations for snacks, lunch, and dinner in the future.
Quinoa Recipes for Toddlers
These healthy quinoa recipes for kids of all ages are sure to be a house favorite. Quinoa recipes for toddlers don't need to be intimidating - these creating ideas will transform your toddlers eating habits!
Quinoa Balls (Tomato and Basil) - Healthy Little Foodies
These little balls are perfect for small hands and so healthy!
Quinoa Pizza Bites (Easy Gluten Free Veggie Quinoa Bites )
These quinoa pizza bites are the perfect size for little toddler hands and also perfect for a snack for older kids. The filling is made with greens, tomatoes, breadcrumbs, and cheese which makes them taste like a pizza popper!
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Bars
These Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Bars are toddler tested and loved and are filled with tons of broccoli and protein, fiber rich quinoa so they're Mom approved, too!
Gluten Free Fish Sticks with Honey Yogurt Dipping Sauce
These Gluten Free Fish Sticks use a breading with almond flour and quinoa to make a healthy baked fish stick for kids, served with a delicious honey yogurt dipping sauce.
Instant Pot Quinoa with Vegetables
Looking for an easy one pot meal recipe? This plant forward instant pot quinoa with vegetables is ready in minutes, and brings a healthy twist of Mediterranean flavors.
Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets
Quinoa Crusted Chicken Nuggets – A kid favourite made healthier.
Easy Healthy Broccoli Quinoa Bites
These easy to make broccoli quinoa bites work great as a snack, party appetizer or even breakfast on the go.
Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms
These easy, cheesy, healthy stuffed mushrooms can be made ahead in preparation for a big gathering. Crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside, these are sure crowd-pleaser!
Mini Quinoa Sweet Potato Muffins
These scrumptious mini muffins wholesome and delicious, perfect for kids and adults are alike. Little ones will never guess there's quinoa in these and that they're loaded with nutrients! Thanks to quinoa, sweet potato, and oats you can feel great about serving these to your kiddos!
Make your own Love Crunch granola spinoff!
This chocolate granola only takes one bowl and 10 minutes of prep work! It’s studded with cherries and health boosted with chia seeds and quinoa.
Thin Mint Quinoa Granola
Girl Scout Cookie in a vegan and grain-free granola form: Thin Mint Quinoa Granola. Ready in 45 minutes and using only 10 ingredients.
Protein-Packed Breakfast Quinoa with Blueberries will Brighten Up Your Morning Routine
There’s a bounty of ways to wake up in the morning, but one of the best is with this protein-packed breakfast quinoa with blueberries.
Pomegranate Quinoa Porridge
Enjoy your quinoa for breakfast in this Pomegranate Quinoa Porridge! A vegan, no-sugar added breakfast filled with fiber, antioxidants and protein to fill you up and start your day off right.
Cocoa Banana Cinnamon Quinoa Flakes
A lovely combination of flavors for a healthy, quick, delicious breakfast recipe for one! Cocoa Banana Cinnamon Quinoa Flakes are also gluten-free, vegan, nut-free, but protein-packed!
Easy Quinoa Porridge Recipe
Healthy quinoa porridge is great for kids and toddlers alike.
Blueberry Almond Baked Oatmeal Muffins
Blueberry Almond Baked Oatmeal Muffins are the best grab and go breakfast recipe for busy families.
Quinoa Bread (Vegan + Gluten-Free)
This Quinoa Bread has a chewy texture and nutty flavour reminiscent of rye bread and is perfect for making toast. It's vegan, gluten-free, yeast-free, oil-free, nut-free and contains no added sugar
Easy Mexican Quinoa Casserole Recipe (One Pan)
This Mexican Quinoa Casserole Recipe is an easy and delicious one-pan dinner perfect for busy weeknights! Filled with ground turkey, bell peppers, and pantry staples like canned black beans, corn, and tomatoes, the whole family will love this cheesy quinoa casserole.
Quinoa Pizza Casserole
This quinoa pizza casserole is the perfect healthy side dish if you love pizza!
Healthy Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Bake. Broccoli and quinoa smothered in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with crispy panko breadcrumbs.
Vegetarian Southwest Quinoa Casserole
This Mexican-style quinoa casserole is a vegetarian recipe and can be served immediately for dinner or made into a freezer meal and saved for later!
Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites
Buffalo chicken quinoa bites are a light and tangy treat. Easy to make for your family to enjoy or serve up for your next football watching party.
Plant Based Quinoa Tacos With Avocado Dressing
Plant based quinoa tacos are great for kids and adults alike!
Quinoa Flatbread Recipe • Veggie Society
Simple 2 ingredients Quinoa Flatbread recipe, super easy to make, healthy, oil free, gluten free and loaded with protein. Top with your favorite whole foods, no processed ingredients, no sugar and always vegan.
Hearty Vegan White Bean Soup (Gluten-Free)
This vegan white bean soup is so comforting and delicious
Chicken Quinoa Bake �- Healthy Little Foodies
Quinoa, chicken and vegetables are cooked in a creamy tomato sauce and topped with cheese to make a delicious Chicken Quinoa Bake
Goat Cheese Stuffed Quinoa Nuggets
Kids love chicken nuggets? Try these goat cheese stuffed quinoa nuggets for a fun upgrade.
Spinach and Artichoke Quinoa Bake - Smart Nutrition with Jessica Penner, RD
Your favourite dip… now featured in a healthy dinner dish!
Quinoa Fruit Salad
Quinoa Fruit Salad is a bright gluten-free healthy summer salad with seasonal fruits such as mangos, apricots and blueberries tossed with quinoa, mint and a zippy citrus honey lime dressing
Lime and Mango Quinoa Salad (Gluten Free)
This Lime and Mango Quinoa Salad is perfect as a simple side dish for any family meal. It's a great healthy option for a cold summer salad.
Indian Pudding | Instant Pot Indian Kheer
This Quinoa Pudding, or Quinoa Kheer, is an Indian dessert made with quinoa, milk, and sweetened condensed milk for sweetness
Date Energy Balls (No-Bake Recipe)
Date Energy Balls combine our favorite nuts and dried fruits with the natural sweetness of dates for a delicious no bake snack we all enjoy.
Orange, almond and quinoa cake (gluten-free, dairy-free)
Gluten-free and dairy-free, this cake ticks a few boxes for those with certain allergies. Made with cooked quinoa, almonds, honey, Pura Liquid Coconut Oil, eggs and orange.
I bought quinoa from online shop here in Philippines and searching kid friendly recipes and ways to cook it. Gladly I found this recipes that my kids will surely love. Thanks and keep on posting..