These whole wheat chocolate chip gingerbread protein pancakes are a quick, easy, and delicious breakfast for the holiday season. Made with greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, these healthy greek yogurt pancakes can be topped with any of your favorite toppings!
As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.
More gingerbread things! I can’t get enough right now, as I typically feel with the holidays here. Well, almost here. I’m thinking ahead with these Gingerbread Protein Pancakes.
I really wanted to share some easy gingerbread recipes before the holidays. Because…2020 is weird. And we all need something to look forward to.
So, I made these fluffy greek yogurt panakes last weekend and they were too good not to share!
If you’re looking for some Christmas morning pancakes, look no further. Then again, if you’d rather have a Gingerbread oatmeal, then check that one out. Both are great for Christmas morning!
I’ve always been torn between waffles and pancakes. Growing up, I always chose waffles when we would go out to breakfast. The Belgian waffle with whipped cream. I’m salivating just thinking about it. I never had to think twice.
Nowadays, I don’t always feel like getting my waffle maker out (although, berry banana oat waffles are totally worth it). But, pancakes are so versatile that they often win over. I like to make them in excess to freeze, to make my life easier in the future.
My Christmas morning traditions have changed over the years, since now I’m generally spending Christmas with Ed’s family. With my family, we would have cinnamon sugar cake, an egg bake and some cinnamon rolls. It was a huge feast with lots to choose from.
When my dad would offer to help, he would always make blueberry pancakes – no if’s, and’s or but’s. Despite how simple they were, they were always delicious.
So, healthy gingerbread pancakes on Christmas morning just sound right to me.
What You Need For Gingerbread Protein Pancakes
These greek yogurt pancakes really only need a few CORE ingredients, plus the spices. The spices are important for that gingerbread flavor. And if you have gingerbread spice, consider just using that!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- whole wheat flour
- greek yogurt
- molasses (I love this brand)
- chocolate chips
- baking powder
- ground ginger
Since I like to keep these fluffy gingerbread pancakes holiday flavored and even incorporate holiday colors, I love to use pomegranate aerils and kiwi for the toppings. But you can top with any fruits or even peanut butter. I bet chopped peppermint would be good too!
And using molasses is key for these molasses pancakes – it really brings out the gingerbread holiday flavor!
I’m thinking it will be a tradition we start with our family in the coming years because pancakes just mean family, right? You enjoy fluffy gingerbread pancakes with those you love.
How to Make Gingerbread Healthy Greek Yogurt Pancakes
I love greek yogurt protein pancakes so much because you’re not relying on protein powders to up the protein.
Instead, greek yogurt adds the ultimate creaminess and lightness to the pancakes to make these truly fluffy gingerbread pancakes, and allows you to use less batter overall. Need more reasons why I love greek yogurt? Check out my greek yogurt smoothie roundup.
To make these easy greek yogurt pancakes, you’ll just mix your wet and dry ingredients separately. Then, mix them together, taking care not to overmix. The batter is already thin.
If you’d like it a little thicker, you can use less milk or add a little more flour.
Then, just put them on a warm griddle and cook for 2-4 minutes, per side.
Tips For Making Fluffy Gingerbread Pancakes
- This easy gingerbread pancake recipe makes about 6-8 small to medium-sized pancakes for me. sIf you like yours really large, you can probably expect to get between 4-6.
- The batter is on the thinner side, so take care when flipping these pancakes. They will cook quickly!
- Once the pancakes start bubbling on top, they are ready to be flipped.
- Make sure your skillet is hot before adding the batter. This allows a fluffy interior to cook quicker.
Best of all, this easy gingerbread recipe comes together so quickly, using ingredients you probably already have on hand. And moving forwad, you’ll always make greek yogurt pancakes because they are so delicious! Whole wheat flour is a must have pantry staple and greek yogurt is always in our fridge.
We even made sure to make extra to freeze for the next few weeks.
Let me know if the comments if you make and love these easy gingerbread chocolate chip pancakes!
Other Holiday Recipe Favorites:
- Cranberry Pomegranate Baked Oatmeal
- Maple Balsamic Roasted Vegetables
- Easy Date Power Balls with Pomegranate Seeds
- Cod Sliders with Cranberry Chutney
- Crockpot Gingerbread Oatmeal
- Oatmeal Raisin Peppermint Cookies
- ½ cup + 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 cup Stonyfield Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp molasses
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Optional holiday toppings: 1-2 kiwis, ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and spices).
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients (eggs, milk, yogurt and molasses). Add wet into dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in chocolate chips last.
- Melt butter (or oil) in skillet over medium high heat. Using ¼ cup measurements, spoon batter onto skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until bubbles start to form. Flip and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Plate and top with desired toppings.
They are a little on the watery side so use care when flipping. When you see bubbling at the top, they are ready to be flipped. They should be light, thin and tasty when you’re done!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 320mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 18gProtein: 7g
What is your Christmas morning go to breakfast?