Blueberry Banana Chia Bread makes a great base for a sweet breakfast or on-the-go snack when you find yourself with ripe bananas. Made with fruit, chia seeds, oat flour, and half the sugar, it’s a wholesome, healthy banana bread recipe with chia seeds for the whole family.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases || Last Updated, October 21, 2021
Did you know you can put chia seeds in bread? I hadn’t tried it until recently but I honestly love the texture of this little addition.
Quickbreads and muffins are easy to have around for easy snacks. Plus, most of my muffins are healthy muffins for toddlers, meaning they are great for the whole family.
Anyway, if you’ve never added chia seeds to bread, this is your chance. After today’s banana bread recipe with chia seeds, you’ll want to add these nutritious seeds to your recipes.
Ingredients For Banana Chia Seed Bread
- oat flour (or you can grind up your own oats)
- all purpose flour
- chia seeds
- vanilla extract
- ripe bananas
- coconut oil
- sugar (I used SPLENDA Naturals Sugar & Stevia Blend)
- baking soda
- baking powder
To make this a lower sugar banana bread with chia seeds, I used Splenda Naturals sweetener. While it has 50% fewer calories than sugar, you can use it anywhere you would use sugar and it has no bitter after taste.
Can You Bake With Chia Seeds?
Yes, chia seeds in baking work wonders. For vegan chia seed breads, you can use the chia seeds to make a chia egg.
For this recipe, I added the chia seeds for texture and nutrients. Chia seeds are nutrition powerstars!
They are full of protein, fiber, calcium, iron, and omega 3 fats. Many of these are nutrients that Americans may not be getting enough of, so adding chia seeds to banana bread is genius!
The ultimate end product is high in fiber (which makes it a great snack for toddlers) and has multiple servings of fruit, plus healthy fats.
How to Make This Banana Chia Bread Recipe
To make chia seed bread, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix your dry ingredients, from oat flour through baking powder in a large bowl. If you don’t have oat flour on hand, you can easily make your own by blending oats in a blender or food processor.
- In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients from ripe bananas through coconut oil.
- Add in the blueberries last to prevent staining
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients and bake!
How To Store Chia Bread
At room temperate, banana chia bread will stay fresh for around 3-4 days.
You’ll need to make sure that you cool your bread completely before covering otherwise it can end up going soggy.
Next, place a paper towel at the bottom of a tupperware container, place the bread inside, then place another paper towel over the top, adding the lid to the container and sealing! Make sure to consume within 4 days, or just freeze it!
I will also store it in the fridge so it firms up a bit.
Tips and Tricks
Here are some tricks and modifications you can make.
- I recommmend following the servings for all purpose and oat flour. Together, they create an ideal texture in the bread. It’s soft and moist, but not overly soft that it falls apart.
- What to serve it with – Both butter and peanut butter melt nicely on these thick slices of chia seed bread. I also love to sprinkle crumbs of this chia bread over oatmeal or yogurt. It’s so good and great for alternating between textures.
- Other seeds to add to bread – Not a chia seed fan? You could also try another seed option – pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, or sunflower seeds would all be delicious as well.
If you’re a sucker for spreads and love adding extra flavor, why not add these to your freshly baked chia bread;
- Cream Cheese
- Whipped Cinnamon Butter
- Homemade Dark Chocolate Frosting
- Compotes & Jams
More Chia Seed Recipes and Snacks
- Cranberry strawberry chia sauce
- Banana chia seed pudding
- Chocolate Coconut Milk Chia Pudding
- Vegan Hemp Protein Bars (these use hemp seeds, but you could add chia seeds in too!)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the dry ingredients, from oat flour through baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix your wet ingredients from ripe bananas through coconut oil. Add in the blueberries last. The batter should be sticky.
- Mix your wet and dry ingredients. Be careful not to overmix. Pour into bread pan.
- Cook for 45-50 minutes, or until fully cooked (test with a toothpick).
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Carrington Farms gluten free, hexane free, NON-GMO, free of hydrogenated and trans fats in a BPA free bottle, liquid coconut cooking oil, unflavored, 16 Fl Oz
Viva Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds (2 LB)
Anthony's Organic Oat Fiber, 1.5lb, Gluten Free, Non GMO, Keto Friendly, Product of USA
SPLENDA Naturals Stevia Sweetener for Baking: No Calorie, All Natural Sugar Substitute w/ No Bitter Aftertaste. 7.8 oz. Granulated Resealable Bag
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 336Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 5gSugar: 10gProtein: 7g
Favorite type of quick bread?