A delicious round up of 42 healthy muffins for kids and baby muffins that make great snacks for home and on the go.
Now that Camryn is full-on eating people food and snacks, I have to be prepared with snacks. I try to stay on top of my game by making healthy baby muffins each week.
I thought it would be helpful to share some of the diverse and tasty ones we’ve come across.
I’ve also written posts sharing ideas about our easy toddler meals and snacks for daycare and 50+ ideas for snacks and easy toddler snack ideas for home, as well as 25+ healthy toddler finger food recipes.
Now, let’s talk about muffin recipes.
What to Add To a Healthy Baby Muffin Recipe
As a Registered Dietitian, some of what I recommend are:
- whole grains and nut flours
- nut butters
- full fat dairy
- herbs and spices
Fortunately, I don’t feel as if I have to hide fruits and veggies into foods because Camryn seems to like them on her own.
But, these muffins for babies can be great ways to ADD more variety in fruits and veggies. Plus, they are fabulous as muffins for baby led weaning.
I try to support that by offering fruits and/or veggies at each meal, even if she hasn’t shown any interest before. We also try to offer foods in different ways.
I wrote more about our baby led weaning journey here.
For example, sometimes I’ll bake “zucchini fries,” sometimes I’ll bread them, and sometimes I’ll spiralize zucchini (like in these salmon zucchini cakes). However, that’s not always the case and I’m not against sneaking nutrients in when and where I can.
And healthy muffins for kids (with extra nutrients) are always an easy place to do so.
Muffins for Babies
While there isn’t one “magic muffin recipe” that all kids love, there is no shortage of muffin options.
Each child has different taste preferences and nutritional needs, depending on their age, size, appetite and food allergies or sensitivities.
Therefore, I’ve gathered a variety of healthy muffins for kids (that can cater from your six-month-old to your five-year-old) that can help your little ones start their days off (and continue their days) with lots of energy and nutrients.
The best part about muffins is that they are easy to turn into baby muffin recipes, too! Just serve them in mini muffin tins.
Are Baby Led Weaning Muffin Recipes Healthy?
Fruity Toddler Muffins and Healthy Baby Muffins
Fruity muffins can be optimal healthy breakfast muffins for kids and can be great as baby led weaning muffins as well.
Most kids prefer the sweetness of fruits to the bitterness of some vegetables, and banana muffins for babies are hard to beat.
Fall Flavored Healthy Muffins for Babies
Fall flavored muffins, like apple, pumpkin or sweet potato, can be great as baby led feeding muffins. Pumpkin and sweet potato are full of antioxidants, fiber and other nutrients.
Therefore, they make an ideal ingredient for healthy muffins for kids. That's why sweet potato and pumpkin baby food are so popular and great as iron rich enhancements.
High Fiber Muffins for Toddlers
Need healthy baby muffins to help with constipation or increasing your baby's fiber intake?
It can sometimes be difficult to find high fiber muffins that taste good but these are some reliable options. I like serving them as baby breakfast muffins to start the day off with fiber.
Veggie Muffins for Toddlers
Vegetable muffins may not sound that appetizing but these easy veggie muffin recipes may change your mind! Vegetable muffins can be a great way to serve veggies in new ways.
Veggie muffins also increase the nutrient content of those baby muffins your kids love.
They are also perfect as baby food muffins and baby finger food recipes because they aren't overly sweet.
Veggie Muffins with Greens
It’s a little hard to hide the vegetables in these veggie muffins, but there's so nutritious and still tasty!
Healthy Chocolate Muffins
I think we all love and enjoy healthy chocolate muffins. They can certainly fit into a healthy snack choice for toddlers.
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Cups from Bucket List Tummy are a great option for baby muffins. You could substitute more dried cherries or another dried fruit for the chocolate chips if desired.
- These Double Chocolate Snack Muffins from How To Eat are incredibly simple. You probably have most, if not all, of the ingredients to make these healthy muffins for kids.
- Remember when black bean brownies were super trendy? You might, but your toddler probably doesn’t so they won’t guess the secret ingredient in these Double Chocolate Muffins with Black Beans from Foods with Judes.
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Love and Zest use peanut butter powder and coconut flour.
Refined Sugar Free Muffins for Babies and Toddlers
Sugar-free muffins are popular options as baby led weaning muffins and healthy muffins for kids.
- Easy Flourless Blueberry Muffins from Healthy Inspiration use medjool dates as the sweetener, plus a combination of garbanzo beans and oats instead of wheat flour. These healthy muffins for kids are gluten-free, too!
- Mommy & Me Banana Bread Muffins from Kelly Jones Nutrition are both vegan and gluten-free as well, also made with chickpeas.
- With Diana K. Rice’s Banana Oat Blender Muffins, you won’t even need a mixing bowl.
- With bananas, walnuts, orange zest, and cranberries, these Sugar-Free Banana Cranberry Muffins from Dani’s Cookings are bursting with natural fruit sweetness.
Savory Muffins for Kids
Don’t have a sweet tooth or don’t prefer sugar free muffins? There are plenty of options for savory muffins, too!
- Baby Led Weaning Savory Muffins from My Gorgeous Recipes are savory baby led weaning muffins catered specifically for your little ones, made with cherry tomatoes and red pepper.
- Savory Vegetable Muffins from The Belly Rules the Mind can help introduce your child to new tastes including ginger and green chiles. They’re even egg-free with a vegan option.
- If you baked broccoli cheddar soup into a muffin, I imagine it would taste something like Another Food Blogger’s Cheesy Vegetable Muffins, which may be a fun snack for toddlers or young kids.
Muffins can be great vehicles for introducing new flavors and nutrients into babies and toddlers. There are plenty of healthy choices for toddler muffins and baby muffins, alike! I hope this roundup helps you feel creative in the kitchen.
Another one of our favorite breakfast recipes for babies and toddlers are these baby french toast sticks, another easy option.
Pin it for later!
Do you prefer sweet or savory muffins?
Do you like soft or crunchy textured muffins?