Chocolate Coconut Cream Pudding is a creamy, decadent, dairy free pudding recipe to quench your sweet tooth with only 3 ingredients!
I am SO EXCITED to share this homemade coconut cream dessert with you all because it’s the easiest thing to make and it’s so delicious.
Next time you find yourself in need of desserts using coconut milk you have on hand, save this.
If you haven’t noticed, it’s quite the theme on BLT for making easy recipes with minimal ingredients that are easy – so why not add a quick coconut cream dessert to the repertoire.
Plus, I’ve gotten some requests for desserts, and I elevated them with this, which is one of the best vegan chocolate desserts.
This is one of my favorite desserts with coconut milk. Coconut milk chocolate pudding is your end all be all.
Do you remember Snackpacks? I used to love their chocolate pudding growing up. They were in my lunch just about every day.
Were you a vanilla, chocolate or tapioca fan?
As I’m sure was the case with many of us, I ate a lot of processed foods during my childhood.
But, these days, I try to minimize processed ingredients, like vegetable oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, corn starch, and other fillers and preservatives – when I can.
They’re not bad foods by any means – just don’t always make me feel great.
Especially when I’m feeding my daughter.
And, even more so, when you realize that canned coconut cream dessert recipes are so easy to make on your own – we’re using only 3 main ingredients!
What Do You Need To Make a Dairy Free Pudding?
Well, we’re using just THREE ingredients to make this no-bake dessert.
Yes, this canned coconut milk dessert recipe has three ingredients. It’s one of the best uses for coconut cream.
- Canned coconut milk (I recommend full-fat and use this one)
- Cocoa Powder (I like this fair trade powder). After all, this is a dairy free chocolate pudding.
- Sweetener (sugar, maple syrup or honey). Avoid honey if vegan. I use this Organic Grade A maple syrup.
I find that it’s the perfect vegan chocolate dessert or a mid-day answer to your sweet tooth.
It’s the easiest and tastiest of coconut milk desserts you can make at home.
How to Make Coconut Pudding
Today is the day you try coconut whipped cream for this chocolate coconut cream – do not be intimidated!
The next time you find yourself wondering what to make with coconut cream, make this coconut cream pudding recipe.
This coconut milk pudding originally started as chocolate coconut whipped cream, but then I realized that the product was more like a pudding so here we are with a healthy chocolate pudding.
I then tasted it and decided this dairy free pudding recipe was pretty darn good and fell in love with it. It would be a lovely addition to my quinoa apple crumble.
Today is the day YOU try coconut whipped pudding.
I know there’s a market for coconut milk dessert recipes. For those who are dairy free, or are looking for dairy free coconut cream dessert recipe, this is for you.
I had to temporarily follow a dairy free diet in the beginning of my breastfeeding journey with Camryn, I thought she had a milk allergy.
Turns out, we were good on that front but it still helps to have dairy free, coconut milk dessert recipe that is also a vegan chocolate pudding on hand. You never know when you’re going to want or need chocolate!
How to Whip Coconut Cream
While making cream out of canned coconut milk may seem intimidating, it’s not. There’s really a sequence of steps to make a creamy, tasty coconut whipped cream.
This posts talks about 50+ uses for your canned coconut milk!
To make coconut whipped cream, you’re simply using the creamy (not liquidy) part of canned (full-fat) coconut milk. Coconut whipped cream is a fantastic alternative to dairy whipped cream and makes for the best desserts with coconut cream.
Here are the steps for making your own coconut milk whipped cream.
1. Spoon the solid chunk out of the coconut milk can and put it in a bowl.
You can reserve the liquid for something else because we don’t need it for this coconut milk whipped cream. I recommend keeping your mixers in the freezer to make things easier.
2. Take out a hand mixer and start whipping.
The coconut whipped cream is the labor intensive part!
3. Keep whipping
As you mix, the mixture will start to see some peaks and the coconut milk will begin to look more like whipped cream. Keep mixing for a pudding-like consistency.
Your quick coconut milk dessert is almost ready!
4. Add cocoa powder and sweetener of choice.
Make sure to taste it to see if you want it sweeter or less sweet. Or, if you’re going for a vegan vanilla pudding, add a touch of vanilla extract or vanilla beans.
Who knew you could make such delicious canned coconut cream recipes for dessert so easily?
This is my go to among recipes using coconut cream.
Tips For Making A Quick Coconut Milk Dessert Recipe
- I put my can of full-fat coconut milk in the fridge the night before.
- If you turn your can upside down in the fridge, this will ensure that the coconut liquid is on top when you open the can. You can actually save that liquid!
Coconut water is great in smoothies and has natural electrolytes, which are so important for hydration, especially in this hot weather. You can even drink it straight up if you prefer, though that’s not really my cup of tea.
- Don’t waste your time on the “light” coconut milk, as it won’t whip as well. We want full fat here, plus fat = flavor!
- You will find that if you whip the coconut milk long enough, you pass the “whipped cream” stage. The result is still a creamy, milky bowl of goodness, but if you’d rather have coconut whipped cream, just cut the time short.
- Freeze your hand mixers for about 15-30 minutes before whipping! This helps the coconut milk whip more easily and speeds up the process.
I highly recommend adding cocao nibs as a nutrient-rich substitution for those chocolate chips. Not only do they provide a necessary crunch, but they are full of antioxidants, fiber and healthy fats!
A similar chocolate pudding like recipe I love is cherry chocolate chia pudding. Use almond, coconut or soy milk to make it a dairy free pudding and add a fruity spin to your vegan chocolate pudding.
The Best Coconut Pudding Recipe
- Beat coconut milk on medium-high for about 3-4 minutes, or until pudding like consistency starts to form (time may vary).
- Add cocoa powder and coconut sugar; beat 1 minute more.
You may want to let your can sit out for 10 minutes after taking it out of the fridge.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 365 Everyday Value, Organic Coconut Milk, 13.5 Ounce
- Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, Gluten-Free, Non-GMO Sweetener Substitute (1.5 lbs.)
- Healthworks Cacao/Cocoa Nibs Raw Organic (16 Ounces / 1 Pound) | Unsweetened Chocolate Substitute | Certified Organic | Keto, Vegan & Non-GMO | Antioxidant Superfood | Peruvian Bean/Nut Origin
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 258 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 20g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 14mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Pin it for Later!
Note: This recipe was originally published in August, 2016. Photos and text have been updated as of July, 2019.
You May Also Like These Recipes:
As an Amazon Affiliate, I may earn from qualifying purchases. I continue to reinvest in the blog with the small amount I do earn so this content can remain free to you. Thank you!
So, you tell me:
Were you a Snackpacks fan?
Do you always lick the mixers after mixing?