This gluten free hummus pasta salad is a creamy, colorful vegan cold pasta salad recipe. Swap out your boring pasta salad for this upgraded and unique hummus sauce for pasta.
Did you know hummus pasta sauce is a thing? Trust me that a creamy hummus dressing makes your vegan hummus pasta THAT much better.
I consider myself a bit of an originalist – in that, I combine flavors like in this hummus pasta recipe Similar to my pizza beans recipe, which is basically a pizza flavored vegan cannellini bean recipe.
Strawberry chicken summer salad is also a delicious addition.
I also love eating cold pasta, which I really only do in the summer, and this gluten free pasta salad is the best way to do it, plus it really is an easy recipe! I load up on gluten free pasta from Thrive market, so this is always in a stocked pantry for me.
Here are some of my other favorite nutritional yeast recipes.
Gluten Free Pasta Salad Ingredients
The base will always revolve around which pasta you choose to use!
I think the best gluten-free pastas for this pasta salad is Banza pasta because you’re also getting extra protein and iron.
- gluten free pasta
- broccoli florets
- kalamata olives
Hummus Pasta Sauce Ingredients:
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Hummus Pasta Sauce Nutrition
We know that pasta can be bland by itself. It has a neutral flavor so it needs a good flavor enhancer, like this hummus pasta recipe.
While tomato sauce is the normal, delicious enhancer, I’d argue that hummus is right up there as a sauce and thickener. Hummus is considered a plant-based source of protein, and it can surely take any gluten free pasta salad recipe up a notch.
And if you want more ways to season pasta, here are some ideas!
This hummus pasta recipe works with whatever pasta you choose, just make sure to cook pasta accordingly and let it cool. And make sure to use a gluten free pasta to keep it as a gf pasta salad.
Once you mix all of your ingredients in a bowl (a salad mixer is a life saver), the last thing to do is add the creamy hummus for the hummus salad dressing.
Hummus is also filled with heart-healthy unsaturated fat, and fiber, which most of us aren’t getting enough of.
Plus, a hummus sauce for pasta also offers tons of micronutrients, like folate and vitamin B6, and small amounts of calcium, iron and zinc.
An Easy Meal Prep Pasta Salad
Vegan hummus pasta is great as a summer vegetable pasta salad as it is an allergy-friendly, dairy free pasta salad.
It is also a staple for simple meal prep because it lasts all week, and is ready in 15-20 minutes. You can make it while you’re multi-tasking or doing other meals for the week.
It’s also a great idea to make for new moms, along with this list of freezer meal ideas.
You can use any choice of vegetables. A roasted vegetable pasta salad could be a delicious option any time of year!
Perhaps, asparagus, kale and peas in the spring. And crispy cauliflower, celery and eggplant in the fall months.
Tips For Making This A Kid Friendly Pasta Salad
I love to use this hummus pasta recipe as a pasta salad for picky eaters, letting kids add whatever (if any) vegetables they’d like. And rarther than oil and vinegar, they can enjoy a creamy dip.
Get your kids involved in this recipe – it’s ready in 15-20 minutes, so a short enough time for them to stay focused.
Cook your choice of pasta according to the directions and your desired consistency, and let the pasta cool. Have kids choose their favorite pasta shapes or try new ones. It can be an educational opportunity as well.
While the pasta cools, mix your vegetables and ingredients for your hummus pasta sauce. If your kids are old enough, you can let them chop the vegetables using these kid friendly knives.
Have them pour the hummus sauce mixture in the bowl and stir.
This is a go to toddler meal for us that we make on repeat, along with many of these easy toddler snacks!
FAQ and Gluten Free Pasta Salad Tips
- What other ingredients could you add to mix things up? You can definitely give a cultural twist to it, but it may not stay a vegan gluten free pasta salad. Add feta cheese for a gluten free greek pasta salad, or mozzerella, tomatoes and salami for gluten free italian pasta salad.
- How to add more protein – If you enjoy meat, you could add your favorite meat or protein source – chickpeasor edamame would even be delicious as well, or even a tuna hummus pasta salad. Tofu and tempeh are great additions as well.
- Can you mix and match pastas? Absolutely, make it fun. Kids love different pasta shapes! You don’t have to stick to gluten free pastas either.
- What to serve with this summer hummus pasta salad – Whether this is your main meal or side dish, consider flavorful additions to complete the platter. Some recommendations include:
- Both sweet potato turkey burgers and apple turkey burgers go lovely with this cold vegan pasta recipe. A true match made in heaven.
- Another option that we’ve done, to keep the meal meat-free, is this sheetpan salmon recipe.
- For a refreshing, fruity salad, try this broccoli kale salad with lemon garlic baked salmon or this arugula cantaloupe salad.
- For another appetizer side, this vegan couscous salad is a colorful hit!
You May Also Love These Kid Friendly Pasta Recipes:
And if you’re a fan of this cold vegan pasta recipe, you may also love this veggie pasta bake, which is a great freezer meal.
Kale and sweet potato mac and cheese is another vegetarian option, filled with veggies and great for toddlers!
This Mediterranean Vegan Cold Pasta Salad is a creamy, colorful plant based pasta recipe. Swap out your typical pasta salad recipe for this healthy, roasted vegetable pasta salad.
- 12 oz gluten free penne, rotini or other small pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 medium pepper, chopped (I used multi colored)
- 1 onion, chopped (I used yellow)
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or parmesan cheese (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup plain hummus
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook your gluten free pasta according to directions and desired consistency. Let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, pepper, onion, olives, cheese and salt and pepper. Pour in the chilled pasta, dressing and mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 6gSugar: 2gProtein: 10g