These Sweet Potato Pretzel Bites look fancy but are an easy sweet potato appetizer recipe, great for any time of day. They provide a combination of sweet, savory and salty and are quite addicting!
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m a sucker for sea salt on top of anything, and I mean anything. It’s so good atop of my favorite coconut flour oatmeal cookies and really, any baked good.
So, imagine a warm, mashed sweet potato baked into a crisp, salty, pretzel coating. It’s a home run, and a garlic pretzel bite recipe you don’t want to miss.
These oven baked sweet potato balls are the perfect app or side dish for any gathering, or just a movie night at home. They can make a casual dinner night seem fancy and awe your guests.
When I first tested them at home, Ed bit into one and screamed, “OH MY GOSH. I NEED MORE OF THESE BAKED SWEET POTATO BALLS.”
Key Ingredients For Sweet Potato Bites with Pretzel Coating
I was so intimidated when brainstorming a sweet potato appetizer, but honestly, the process of making these sweet potato bites in the oven was so much easier than I anticipated.
And who wouldn’t want savory and salty sweet potato bites to snack on at any time?
Here’s what you need.
- all purpose flour
- instant yeast
- garlic powder
- sweet potatoes
- sea salt
And for the pretzel topping, you’ll need:
- baking soda
- sea salt
How to Make Mini Sweet Potato Bites with a Kitchen Aid Mixer
There are a few steps in making these that you have to follow in order. First, you’ll want to make sure you have a dough hook attachment for your Kitchen Aid mixer. This is the one I have.
Mix your flour, instant yeast, garlic powder and salt in the mixer. Then, you’ll add in butter and warm water and continue mixing.
Once it’s mixed, transfer it to a bowl that you will cover with plastic wrap. You want it to double in size, so you have to let it sit for 2-2.5 hours.
Then, you’ll break the dough into 30 small pieces and form the dough around pieces of mashed sweet potato. I prefer to keep them all around the same size so they cook evenly.
Baking Sweet Potato Bites in the Oven
Before transferring to the oven, you’ll dip each bite into a mixture of water and baking soda for about 20 seconds. And then line them up on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Lastly, once they have all been formed and dipped, you’ll top each bite with the egg wash mixture (egg + water). Brush the egg wash over each stuffed pretzel bite and then top with sea salt before transferring to the oven.
Sweet potato stuffed dough bites will need to bake at 400 for 15-18 minutes.
I imagine you could make fried sweet potato bites if you wanted to but I think these taste incredible, so why not keep them healthier?
Serving Ideas for Sweet Potato Pretzel Bites
I alternate between serving these with marinara sauce and spicy mustard. Both are delicious and bring a different flavor profile to the whole dish.
In addition, if you make these stuffed pretzel bites for an appetizer or side dish, here are some pairing suggestions for meals:
- Lime and Mango Quinoa Salad
- Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets
- Honey Garlic Shrimp Sheet Pan
- Oven Baked Chicken Kabobs
- Spicy Jalapeno Turkey Burgers
- Extra crispy Oven Baked Chicken Wings
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Oven Bites?
I didn’t test freezing them (we ate them too quickly!) but I would imagine they would freeze just fine.
Just let them cool and place them in a freezable bag that is tightly sealed (I prefer these), for up to 2-3 months. When ready to eat, you could microwave them, or place them in the toaster oven.
Other Tips and Tricks
- If you don’t have a stand mixer or dough attachment, you can mix in a large bowl with your hands. Just be prepared for a longer, more rigorous process!
- I haven’t tested these in the air fryer, but similar recipes have seen success. Set air fryer to 390 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Then, remove and brush with topping and sprinkle with salt.
- If you don’t have instant yeast, it will take longer to rise with regular yeast – be aware of this
- I don’t recommend table salt for topping – coarse sea salt is the best!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- Add dough hook attachment to Kitchen Aid and mix flour, yeast, garlic powder and salt for 15-20 seconds, until mixed evenly. Next, add in melted butter and warm water, and mix on low for 2-3 minutes.
- Increase speed to medium and mix for 3 more minutes.
- Transfer dough to bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for 2-2.5 hours, or until dough has risen and doubled in size.
- Break dough into 40 small bite sized pieces.
- Cook your sweet potato. I like to microwave for 6-7 minutes, or until cooked. Once it cools, separate into 30-40 small circles to stuff in the dough.
- Take your dough and press it around each little piece of sweet potato, to create a sweet potato stuffed dough bite.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line sweet potato dough bites on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Mix 8 cups water and baking soda in large pot and bring to medium high heat. Head until the baking soda is dissolved.
- Using tongs or a large spoon, dip each sweet potato flour pretzel bite into baking soda water mixture and hold for 20-25
seconds. Then transfer back to parchment lined baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix your egg with 1 tablespoon of water to form egg mixture.
- Brush egg wash over each bite and then top with sea salt or coarse salt, to your desire.
- Put baking sheets with bites in the oven and bake until the bites are golden brown, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes and serve warm with mustard or marinara sauce, for dipping.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
SPLF 6 Pack BPA FREE Reusable Gallon Freezer Bags, Extra Thick Reusable Storage Bags Leakproof Silicone and Plastic Free for Marinate Meats, Cereal, Sandwich, Snack, Travel Items, Home Organization
Dough Hook for KitchenAid Mixer- K5ADH Coated C Dough Hook Attachments for 5 Quart Bowl-Lift Stand Mixers K4SS K5SS KSM5 KSM50 (Grey)
KITCHENAID Professional 600 Stand Mixers, 6 quart, Matte Velvet Blue
Nutrition Information:Yield: 30 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 78Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 1147mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Check out these other snack recipes!