Sweet potato and zucchini fritters are a tasty, vegetarian meal that adults and kids will love! Made with shredded zucchini, sweet potato, chickpea flour, eggs and cheese, this easy zucchini sweet potato recipe will become a family favorite.
Are you a fritter fan? They’re kind of a mix between mini burgers, sliders and patties.
Whatever you want to call them, I love them.
Leave out the cheese and you have vegan sweet potato fritters. Either way, these gluten free fritters will quickly become a house favorite!
We love fritters of all kinds in our house. They are pretty easy to make, cook quickly, and are versatile and can pair with many things, which is why they work great as a Thursday night dinner idea.
Plus, they offer a great way to get more veggies in without necessarily noticing you’re eating veggies.
Ingredients For Sweet Potato Zucchini Fritters
Here’s what you need for this quick and delicious weeknight meal. Zucchini chickpea flour fritters are so good you’ll want to make extra.
- Sweet potato – Canned pumpkin would not be a great substitute as we are shredding the sweet potato.
- Red onion
- Chickpea flour – A gluten free flour that adds more protein and fiber!
- Red pepper – Any color pepper variety will do!
- Shredded cheese – You can use a vegan cheese if you’d like.
- Eggs – The eggs are the binder and help hold everything together. A flax or chia egg may work as a vegan version.
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Avocado oil – Olive oil will also work but I love the mild taste of avocado oil.
How to Make Zucchini and Sweet Potato Fritters
The most labor-intensive part of this sweet potato fritter recipe is grating the sweet potato and zucchini into small shreds.
But, it doesn’t take as long as you think – a max of 5-6 minutes.
I like to grate them with a box grader (using the largest holes) over a bowl so the shreds don’t get everywhere and are contained.
The zucchini shreds will have more moisture, so after grating it, you will likely need to wring out some excess moisture.
I like to do this by placing them in a dish cloth or paper towels and gently wringing out the moisture.
Then, once you have your shreds, you’ll mix them in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Once everything is mixed, let it sit for 5 minutes to firm up.
Then, using a spoon or your hands, form the fritter batter into small fritters (my batter made about 6 medium-sized fritters).
Place on the frying pan and cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy to your liking on the outside.
Make sure to use a sufficient amount of oil to help them crisp up on the outside.
Yes, you can! To freeze, let them cool completely and then place in a stasher bag or freezer-friendly bag or container. Store for up to 3 months. When reheating, place in the microwave or toaster oven until warmed throughout.
Yes, you can. Almond flour or coconut flour are gluten-free options, or you can try with whole wheat flour, though I didn’t test them with whole wheat or AP flour.
There are a few options you can make/serve as dips. Ketchup, guacamole and hummus are always a good go-to. Greek yogurt or sour cream are other favorites!
What to Serve With Zucchini Sweet Potato Fritters
We love to serve these sweet potato and courgette fritters with or atop of a quinoa salad.
Or, we’ll serve with a potato dish (potato salad, mashed potatoes), pasta salad, rice and beans or with a salad. So many delicious ways to enjoy them.
A great thing about this sweet potato zucchini recipe is that you can make a bunch in advance and freeze them.
They are a great freezer meal for toddlers, or even new moms.
In the postpartum phase, freezer meals for new moms (no matter what they are) come in handy because you’re tired, short on time, and need food to power your body.
These sweet potato and zucchini fritters are atasty, vegetarian meal that adults and kids will love! Made with shreddedzucchini, sweet potato, chickpea flour, eggs and cheese, this easy zucchinisweet potato recipe will become a family favorite.
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 1 cup shredded)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour (can increase to ½ cup if excess moisture)
- ¼ cup red pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Using a peeler, peel sweet potato and zucchini*Then, using the side of a box grater with the largest holes, grate the zucchini and sweet potato into small pieces.
- Remove excess moisture by squeezing out as much water as possible from the small strands. I like to place on a paper towel or cloth and wring out.
- Once you’ve wrung out excess moisture, add small sweet potato and zucchini shreds to a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix gently to incorporate everything. Let it sit for 5 minutes to firm up.
- Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil on frying pan over medium to high heat. Divide fritter batter into 5-6 small to medium-sized fritters. Place fritters on pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, until the outside is golden and crispy.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving. Enjoy with your favorite toppings.
If your fritters have excess moisture from the zucchini, you can increase the flour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 140Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 125mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 6g
More easy weeknight recipes: