These easy freezer meals for new moms will make the transition to motherhood that much easier. Make ahead freezer meals are the best quick and easy pregnancy meals and will be ready for you when you need them by doing just a little meal prep when pregnant.
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn from qualifying purchases.
Focusing on freezer ideas for new moms and other freezer-friendly meal prep has been a life saver as a new mom, which is why I think it’s important to share these easy pregnancy meals with you.
I hope these healthy freezer meals for new moms will be helpful for you too, even if you aren’t a new mom.
This post about easy meals for new moms will focus on:
- What to include for healthy freezer meals for new moms
- What you need for freezer meal prep
- The best freezer meals for pregnancy (and why!)
- Healthy breakfast meal prep recipes
- Easy snacks for new moms
- Some of the best freezer meals postpartum
- Crockpot freezer meals
Easy to Freeze Meals for New Moms Are Clutch
I always tell people that making freezer meals for new moms is a great way to help (new) parents. We have several ideas for postpartum freezer meals.
It’s easy to do (just double a meal you make for yourself!), and you can drop it off without disturbing the new addition.
Personally, I always focus on some sort of freezer meal prep before baby.
If you’re someone who likes to do a lot of cooking in bulk or wants to have easy meals on hand – maybe you have a surgery coming up, or a loved one is sick, etc.
It’s nice to have some meals pre-made so all you have to do is just heat them up. Meal prep for baby can be easier than we think.
Meal prep and subscribing to the annual membership for Thrive Market are my two must-do’s when I’m expecting.
You’re tired, sleep deprived, the laundry is excessive, and cooking a meal is the last thing on your mind. I relied a lot on the freezer meals I made when pregnant and also subscribed to some other helpful products.
I also subscribed to Butcher Box to have quality meat and seafood on hand, which I used for many of these recipes!
When I’m pregnant, postpartum, or now that I have kids, I only buy high quality, grass fed meat.
Storage Tips For Post Partum Meal Prep
When doing post partum meal prep and storage, you do want to keep a few things in mind from a food safety perspective.
- According to the FDA, when preparing food, make sure to always separate raw from cooked meats and foods. This means using separate cutting boards.
- Food safety is especially important for pregnancy and postpartum when our immune systems may be more vulnerable. Make sure to cook foods to proper temperatures (here’s a guide).
- When defrosting food, avoid doing so on the countertop at room temperature. Instead, defrost in the refrigerator, in cold water, or in the microwave. Food thawed in cold water or in the microwave should be cooked immediately.
- Speaking of thawing, if you thaw something and don’t end up eating it, do NOT refreeze.
- It may be a good idea to try to incorporate some recipes that are allergen-free or friendly. You never know if your breastfeeding baby will react to dairy or something in your diet.
- Try to use within 2-5 months. Believe me – these meals wiill taste better and have a stronger nutrition profile if you do. Make sure you have freezer friendly containers, such as Stasher bags or pyrex containers.
Easy Freezer Meals for New Moms Ideas
The best easy freezer meals for new moms will have multiple macronutrients and food groups so they nourish you and keep you full for a period of time.
I’ve divided these freezer meals for new moms into different categories, such as:
- Crockpot Freezer Meals
I would recommend doing meal prep during pregnancy if you have the energy and time! Little by little, it will add up. Just make sure you have somewhere to store them, like a deep freezer or chest freezer.
These easy freezer meals are GREAT as healthy pregnancy meals and pregnancy dinner ideas as well.
What You Need for Postpartum Freezer Meals
I want to share some of my favorite resources for pregnancy meal prep and postpartum freezer meals because to succeed you have to have a few systems in place.
I would have loved to see a post like this when I was pregnant to encourage a meal prep pregnancy plan, so I thought it may be helpful to compile a list of meal prep ideas for pregnancy to make in bulk.
Doing meal prep while pregnant does not have to be overly arduous and time-consuming. Just do it little by little.
While this is great for mamma’s to be, it can also be a resource for simple meal prep or freezer prep.
And if you already have a little one, check out this roundup on freezable toddler meals.
We bought a chest freezer a few months ago that has been the best purchase for postpartum freezer meals. We keep it in the garage.
If you don’t have the money or space for a deep freezer, try to utilize your current freezer the best you can.
Tupperware and Storage Containers
Your healthy postpartum freezer meals are literally going ot be fueling you so the container you store them in matters.
These have been vital for food prep for pregnancy, too.
Meal Prep Sheet To Keep Track Of Meals
This may be because I’m a nerd, but I love writing down and noting what I’m making or have made. I’m a mom who needs meal prep organization, especially when making freezer meals.
I love this magnet sheet for mentally planning and organizing meals and days and of course, my shopping list.
I would have easily forgotten about so much of my postpartum freezer meals if I hadn’t written them down.
Crockpot or Instant Pot
Believe me, the money spent now is WELL worth it when you’re tired, can’t/don’t want to leave the house (or put real clothes on) and have no fresh food.
And don’t think Crockpot Oatmeal isn’t a possibility, it makes for the best easy crockpot meals for pregnancy.
I can’t tell you how helpful these easy freezer meals were for me as a new mom. I now use this as my guide for new mommy friends who need easy meals that will last them a while.
Best Freezer Meals for After Baby is Born
Below is a list of quick and easy pregnancy meals to freeze before baby arrives that either I made, were recommended to me, or I found on the internet and thought would make for great easy freezer meals for new moms.
It did take some time to make all these recipes but I spread it out over weeks and months.
If you’re in a rush or low on time, you could knock a lot out in one weekend. Enlist the help of your mom, sister, neighbor or friend
Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Recipes
We tend to only think about dinners in terms of make ahead freezer meals, but don’t forget about the power of breakfast!
Breakfast meal prep ideas for new moms are GOLD because we are groggy and sleep-deprived in the mornings. Here’s more ideas for meal prep breakfast ideas.
You’ll thank yourself when you can just grab something or reheat a healthy freezer meal and start your day.
Especially if you have a crying or needy baby and are functioning in a sleep-deprived state.
These also operate as healthy pregnant meals, too!
- Banana Peach Baked Oatmeal
- Apple Pumpkin Pie Baked Oatmeal
- Easy Protein Granola paired with greek yogurt, cottage cheese, oatmeal or frozen waffles!
- Banana Oat Waffles (Great for breastfeeding moms and high in galactagogues that help with milk production!)
- Sweet Potato Blueberry Baked Oatmeal
- Zucchini Parmesan Waffles via Krolls Korner
- Chocolate Baked Oats
- How to Freeze Pancakes via Home Cooking Memories
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Asparagus and Mushroom Quiche
- Freezer to Microwave Breakfast Burritos via New Leaf Wellness
- Bulk Breakfast Sandwiches via Damn Delicious
- Sausage and Cheese Biscuits via Cleverly Simple
- Turkey Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Leftover Oatmeal Cookies, also a great lactogenic food for breastfeeding.
Easy Snacks for New Moms
Snacks for pregnancy and filling breastfeeding snacks for new moms are essential. If you’re more of a smoothie person, check out this list of lactation smoothie recipes that can help with milk production.
When hunger hits you instantaneously, you’re not going to want to wait to bake something, which is why I rely on some of my favorite snacks for pregnancy and healthy postpartum snacks.
No one remembers them but they are the most important part for moms throughout the day.
Most of these make ahead snack recipes have some sort of protein, which is key for satiety and satisfaction.
- The Best 4 Ingredient Trail Mix
- Cheese Herb Muffins via Imagelicious
- Protein Granola
- Vegan Trail Mix Bars (galactogogue friendly!)
- Wild Blueberry Sweet Potato Bread
- Superhero Muffins via Run Fast, Eat Slow
- Sweet Potato Cookie Dough Dip (for those with a sweet tooth!)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Coconut Balls (Vegan & Gluten Free)
- Sunflower Chocolate Chip Chickpea Bars
- Almond Flour Banana Muffins
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas via The Kitchn
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Breakfast Bars via Eating Well
- Make Ahead Muffin Mix via Make Ahead Meal Mom
- Strawberry Banana Chickpea Muffins
- Chocolate Pomegranate Energy Bites
- Carrot Cake Energy Bites
- No Bake Protein Bites (Vegan)
- 3 Ingredient Vegan Banana Cookies
And if you just want something cold and creamy, this roundup of greek yogurt smoothie recipes should provide plenty of inspiration.
These smoothies for pregnancy are also fabulous and nourishing for postpartum.
Easy Dinner Meals for Pregnancy and Best Freezer Meals Postpartum
Eating well will help you feel better and more energetic during pregnancy and postpartum, so having pregnancy dinner ideas and go to recipes help!
However, you probably won’t have the time or energy to cook meals from scratch so these easy dinner recipes come together easily and are easy to prep in advance.
I like to repurpose many of these are pregnancy lunch meal prep because we tend to forget about lunch recipes.
- Vegetarian Pasta Bake (easy to freeze)
- Pizza Quinoa Bites (aka quinoa meatballs!), a great plant based option
- Freezer to Sheetpan Lemon Pepper Salmon & Green Beans via Diana Rice
- Sheetpan Salmon and Veggies
- Kale and Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Bison Meatballs
- Vegetarian Mexican Lasagna via How to Eat
- Asian Turkey Style Meatloaf via Jessica Levinson
- Sweet Potato Turkey Burgers
- Baby led weaning meatballs (3 ingredients!)
- Bison Meatballs
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- Easy Freezer Meatballs via Happy Money Saver
- Thai Peanut Chicken (For Freezing) via Smart Nutrition
- Curried Chicken and Chickpea Soup via Jill Weisenberger
- Veggie Lasagna Rolls via Champagne Nutrition
- Sweet Potato and Zucchini Fritters
Crockpot Freezer Meals
Crockpot freezer meals are the most hands off options available because the slow cooker does all the work!
Here are some favorites:
- Easy Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- Slowcooker Chicken Pumpkin Chili
- How to bulk prep chicken in the slow cooker
- Slowcooker BBQ Chili
- I also like to make a big batch of air fryer frozen green beans and pair with easy lunches and meals.
Can You Make Freezer Meals for a Month?
I hope you find these pregnant meal prep ideas helpful if you’re expecting or just want to plan ahead. It can be easy to put all of our focus on a little one and neglect ourselves.
Easy freezer meals don’t have to be overwhelming. I just did a few recipes each week that built up over time (so thankful for my chest freezer).
Or, if you’re making a recipe that is freezable, just double or triple the recipe and then you don’t necessarily have to take an extra time to make freezer meals for baby.
You could easily stock up on freezer meals for a month if you have the space and do it little by little.
I’ve found that toddler muffins and bars are my FAVORITE easy grab and go snacks. You have to think that you want easy, snacks that you can eat with one hand.
Add some yogurt or nut butter for a protein-packed satisfying snack.
What are your favorite on the go snacks? Any other freezer ideas for new moms?
Support Bucket List Tummy